You Be The Chemist ChallengeTwelve students from our Norristown Area School District Middle Schools competed in the You Be the Chemist competition sponsored by Dow Chemical Corporation on Tuesday evening. Congratulations to Kayla Gunn, Alexia Hall, Elaine Vasquez, Giancarlo Barletta, and Michael Te from East Norriton Middle School; from Eisenhower Science and Technology Leadership Academy, Amaya Bankowski, Kevin Gonzalez, and Ivan Li; and from Stewart Middle School, Rickey Nixon, Skylar Myers, Michael Anderson and Alexander Kay-Conway! Thank you to Ms. Camil Culbreath, NASD Supervisor of Science, and our middle school science teachers for launching the local competition in Norristown and bringing this opportunity to our students.From the You Be The Chemist Website:You Be The Chemist Challenge
The You Be The Chemist (YBTC) Challenge® is an interactive academic competition that engages grade 5‒8 students in learning with their peers (and their community!) about important chemistry concepts, scientific discoveries, and laboratory safety.
- Introduces students to the central role of chemistry in all of the sciences and in their everyday lives.
- Uses the drama of competition to promote science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education.
- Provides educators with an exciting way to educate their students and assess their learning.
- Encourages parents to participate in their child's education.
- Allows industry members to connect with their community and actively show their support for science education.
The Challenge brings students, educators and administrators, parents, industry, and other community members together in an exciting celebration of chemistry!