English Language Development instruction in the Norristown Area School District derives from the Pennsylvania Department of Education's LIEP description in the Basic Education Circular for ELs distributed in 2017 and state regulation, 22 Pa. Code § 4.26, which declares:
Every school district shall provide a program for each student whose dominant language is not English for the purpose of facilitating the student's achievement of English proficiency and the academic standards under § 4.12 (relating to academic standards). Programs under this section shall include appropriate bilingual-bicultural or English Language Development (ELD) instruction.
In the Norristown Area School District, the English Language Development Program consists of planned English language development instruction by a qualified ESL teacher, and adaptations and modifications in the delivery of content instruction and assessments by all teachers based on students’ language proficiency levels.
Registration, Identification and Reclassification Process
- Every family that registers in the Norristown Area School District is given a home language survey to determine the student’s home language. If a language other than English is noted, then a family interview is conducted to determine the student’s exposure to English and academics.
- When the family interview indicates that a student has had limited exposure to the English language, the WIDA Screener is administered to determine English proficiency in listening, reading, speaking and writing.
- If a student is not proficient in English, he/she is identified as an English Learner, and placed into English language development classes.
- English learners are monitored throughout the year to confirm the appropriateness of their placement.
- When an English learner meets the Pennsylvania Department of Education reclassification criteria, he/she exits the ELD program and is monitored for four years to ensure continued progress and academic success.
Connecting with Families
- TalkingPoints – www.talkingpts.org
- Twitter en Español - Twitter - NASD en Espanol
- NASD Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/norristownareaschooldistrict/
- District calendar - NASD Calendar
- Safe Spaces Fact Sheet - https://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/focus/safe-spaces-fact-sheet.pdf
- Resources for New Residents - https://www.pa.gov/guides/resources-for-new-residents/
- Montgomery County - Norristown Public Library - http://mnl.mclinc.org/
- National Geographic: Reach, Inside and Edge – www.myngconnect
- Merriam-Webster Learner’s Dictionary www.learnersdictionary.com
- National Geographic – www.myngconnect.com
- Word to Word Glossaries by Subject and Grade (bilingual glossaries in 40 different languages) https://steinhardt.nyu.edu/metrocenter/resources/glossaries
- Can Do Descriptors https://wida.wisc.edu/teach/can-do
- Center for Applied Linguistics www.cal.org
- ¡Colorín Colorado! – www.colorincolorado.org
- PaTTAN www.pattan.net
- Penn TESOL-East http://www.pte.wildapricot.org/
- TESOL International Association https://www.tesol.org/
- Educating English Learners (PDE) - https://www.education.pa.gov/Teachers%20-%20Administrators/Curriculum/English%20As%20A%20Second%20Language/Pages/default.aspx
- Standards for English Language Development https://www.stateboard.education.pa.gov/Documents/About%20the%20Board/Board%20Actions/2017/ELD%20Standards.pdf
- WIDA - https://wida.wisc.edu/
- ESL Portal - http://www.eslportalpa.info/
- PA Migrant Education www.education.pa.gov/K-12/Migrant%20Education/Pages/default.aspx