NASD PATHS to ExcellencePATHS - Promoting All to Higher Standards of Excellence
TARGET #1 CLOSING THE ACHIEVEMENT GAPTARGET #2 KINDERGARTEN LITERACYTARGET #3 SECOND GRADE LITERACYTARGET #4 FIFTH GRADE LITERACYTARGET #5 FIFTH GRADE MATHEMATICSTARGET #6 ALGEBRA 1 BY THE END OF NINTH GRADETARGET #7 PSAT PARTICIPATION
- PATHS is an over arching framework for indicating every student’s progress, grade pre-kindergarten through 12, toward the goal of being post-secondary or college ready.
- PATHS is a district-wide commitment to all students, families and the community.
- PATHS is a bold and courageous district-wide commitment to prepare students for the 21st century.
- Targets are comprehensive internal measures that indicate student progress in reading and math, from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade.
- PATHS indicates set benchmarks that are the annual objectives (checkpoints) used by teachers, principals and district personnel to guide the work toward meeting the targets by 2014. Objectives are reviewed and revised annually.
- Because PATHS increases graduation rate, it is an investment in our students that will ultimately result in the sustainability and growth of the community.
The Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT) provides feedback to students about their strengths and weaknesses on skills necessary for college study. This PATH allows the district to disaggregate the data to encourage student enrollment in upper level and Advanced Placement courses. PSAT results indicate where we are successful and where we must make corrections and changes in promoting all students to higher standards of excellence.
TARGET #8 SAT SCORESThe Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) measures critical thinking skills that are needed for academic success in college. Students who score well demonstrate that their school career has prepared them with the knowledge and abilities necessary to confidently attend college, live, and/or work in the 21st Century.
TARGET #9 ADVANCED PLACEMENT COURSESAdvanced Placement and Dual Enrollment courses allow students to broaden their intellectual horizons by exploring the world from a variety of perspectives, studying subjects in greater depth and detail, and assuming the responsibility of reasoning, analyzing, and understanding rigorous content. The college level courses allow students to earn credit or advanced standing at many colleges. This PATH is indicative of the district’s goal of ensuring excellence for all students.
TARGET #10 COLLEGE ACCEPTANCEThis PATH is the culminating evidence that the Norristown Area School District promotes all students to higher standards of excellence and ensures that our students will indeed become articulate, thoughtful, productive citizens.