Resources For Online Learning for Parents
Welcome to the Norristown Area School District's Page for online learning resources for parents.
Note - The District has mailed Parent's Student Google account information home via the US Postal Service. This mailing was sent on August 21, 2020. Please be on the lookout for this information. If you have not received this information and do not know your student's Google account information please contact your child's school.
The district's Virtual Learning Plan will utilize GoGuardian Video Conferencing, Google Meet Video Conferencing, Google Classroom K-4, and Schoology, 5 - 12. All software is cloud-based.
I currently do not have a District assigned Chromebook. How do I receive one?
All Chromebooks are now being distributed from your student's school building. You should contact the School Building to pick up your device.
I have no Internet at home. What can I do?
The District has a limited number of Sprint cellular Hotspots. These are available at your child's school for a student(s) that have no Internet access
Comcast's Internet Essentials offers Internet service at a reasonable monthly rate -https://www.internetessentials.com/
I have my own device. How do I make sure I can get my Teachers video calls and Video Lectures.
Your personal device must be a laptop, Chromebook, or desktop. The device must have a camera and a microphone. iPads. and tablets will not work. The device must run the Chome OS desktop version.Here are the instructionsSteps to sign in and Syncing your NASD account to Chrome
- Open Chrome.
- In the top right, click the button with your name or person icon.
- Click Sign in to Chrome.
- Sign in with your NASD Google Account.
- Turn on sync
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click Profile.
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- If you want to sync your info across all your devices, click Turn on sync.
Logging in using a District Issued Chromebook
- This is a Chromebook that was loaned to your student by the Norristown Area School District.
- Connect the Chromebook to your home internet.
- Once the Chromebook has internet access you will be able to log in.
- Watch Video if you are unable to log in. - Connecting to the Internet
- Video on Logging in as an Elementary Student
What is GoGuardian?
GoGuardian is designed for schools with 1-to-1 Chromebook initiatives. It provides teachers with a portal to direct students' attention to specific online resources and close off-topic tabs on one or more devices. The goal of GoGuardian for Teachers is to help keep students on-task and away from inappropriate content. GoGuardian allows teachers to conduct video calls and lectures with students.
What is Google Classroom?
Google Classroom is a free service for schools. Classroom makes it easy for learners and instructors to connect—inside and outside of schools. Google Classroom saves time and paper and makes it easy to create classes, distribute assignments, communicate, and stay organized.
What do I have to do as a parent?
- You must be able to connect to the Internet with a Chromebook, Laptop or Desktop
- If you do not have Wifi Comcast has an Internet Essential Program available to all households. Call for Internet Essentials Information at 1-855-846-8376. English Pamphlet Spanish Pamphlet
- Click to watch a short video - Parents Guide to Google Classroom
I do not know my student's NASD Google account information:
- NASD will send Parents and Guardians account information for their students via US Mail. If you have not received your information, please contact your child's school.
- All NASD student Google accounts end in nasdstudent.org
My student's teacher has asked them to access the software through Classlink. What is Classlink?
- Classlink is a software Portal that NASD students use to access curriculum software. Students log in to Classlink with their Google Accounts.
- You will find the Classlink link. in the NASD bookmarks folder.
- The crosslink URL is https://launchpad.classlink.com/nasd --> students log in to the portal using their Google account Infomation.
My student received a District Chromebook. What do I need to know?
- Please have your child read the information that was provided with the District Chromebook. Chromebook Care
- This device can/should be used by all students in your household.
- Only NASD student accounts are allowed to log in to these devices.
- Student's Internet is aways being filtered though the Districts filtering software.
- These devices are on loan and will need to be returned.
- Mom Accidental damage to the Chromebook will be the responsibility of the guardian of the assigned user.
- If the Chromebook is LOST or STOLEN Please contact your school immediately. The device can be shut down remotely.